Friday, November 20, 2009

Review: Sushi Rio, Sydney


I think I've just found my favourite Sushi Train.

Last week MS and I decided to hit up town for a post-exam catchup. Both of us have been busy all semester with random tidbits here and there, (though I must say his busi-ness outtrumps mine in terms of importance by a billionfold), and so what better than to chill out in front of a a rotating train filled with delicious sushi right?

We chose Sushi Rio because if you remember our trip to Takumi, MS was there when we ran into the big poster on the windows of Sushi Rio stating "$3 per plate Lunchtime special". Ever since that fateful day we've been waiting to come for a visit.

Grilled Scallop Roll

What really struck me as I stepped into the restaurant was actually the pleasant ambience of the place. Despite being stuck on the corner of two very busy streets in the middle of the city, the place felt somewhat secluded from the hustle and bustle. The place felt clean, and was thoroughly enjoyable to be in.

Another big bonus was the large variety available on offer. There's nothing worse than a sushi train where you just sit there and wait, and wait, and wait some more just for a particular dish you're after, or even sometimes just for something different. Sushi train is all about variety, choice, and feeding not only your stomach, but your eyes as well.

The Grilled Scallop Roll (pictured above) had a nice smokey flavour from the grill. It was juicy and moist still on the inside, definitely not overdone. As you will soon discover, I practically OD'ed myself on scallops in this place.

Eel Roll

This place has one of the NICEST cream cheese to go with their eel rolls. It is so incredibly smooth and creamy, and went perfectly with the almost melt-in-your-mouth texture of the eel. And this is coming from a person who usually picks out the block of cream cheese to have separately from the eel.

Salmon Nigiri

Jellyfish and Sharkfin

Even if it is not real sharkfin, I still love the stuff. It also rests better on my conscience than the real stuff. Bonus points to that.

Scallop Nigiri

The first time I ever tried scallop nigiri was at Sushi Tengoku in Kensington. It was one of the few left over from our Mixed Sushi Platter which JL and I were a bit reluctant about. I pawned half the plate off to him, and ended up with the scallop nigiri which, I must admit, I utterly, utterly, utterly fell in love with.

This one here at Sushi Rio hit my craving right on target. I could have probably had another 2 plates of scallop on my own...

Oh wait, I did do that.

Lobster Salad Sushi

MS loved the Lobster Salad which were on offer. I don't know whether it was the real stuff or not, but either way it was beautifully creamy and tangy.

Prawn Tempura Nigiri

My usual favourite made its appearance. The prawn was perfectly deep fried, but the tartare sauce which came with it was not as tasty as the one at Tomodachi in Rhodes. Definitely a more-ish dish.

Grilled Scallop Nigiri

I have no idea how it happened, but another plate of scallop nigiri somehow managed to find its way to my table. Despite being my 3rd plate of scallops, I demolished it good nonetheless.

By the end of our little adventure, both MS and I had eaten to be point of near-explosion, and the bill made barely a dent in our wallets. Overall the experience could only be described as excellent. I can't wait to come back.

Sushi Rio
Shop 7, 337 Sussex Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9261 2388

2 comments:

  1. Let's go to the one opposite Capitol sometime before this year ends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking sushi. Yum! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete