Sunday, November 1, 2009

Review: Tropicana, Kingsford

Chicken Laksa - $7.90

Simple loves.

If you've ever watched How I Met Your Mother, one would know of the significance of McLaren's in the lives of Barney, Lily, Marshall, Ted and Robin. To be honest, I think there's a McLaren's in everyone's hearts - a place which brings back fond moments in your life spent with your friends, time and time again.

For me, there's a few - Cafe C'ador (Strathfield), Tropicana (Kingsford), Pepper Lunch (George St) and Maloney's (the old one. On George Street - don't judge, it's a rite of passage okay?)

Beef Laksa - $9.50

I've been to Tropicana around 5 or 6 times now. All in the one year. And everytime I've visited, I've somehow managed to be slotted away in the same cubicle in the corner, which almost feels like home now.

The food here is simple, yet student-friendly and casual. Little needs to be said about the laksa -- the rich creaminess is always a stand out. I decided to try the beef laksa this time, semi-expecting bicarb-soda soaked pieces of meat floating around in my broth. To my surprise, the texture of the beef was so beautiful tender, as if it had been slowly braised for hours before.

Fish Ball Noodle Soup

DW and PC both ordered the Fish Ball Noodle Soup. DW wasn't feeling too well on the day, and at first did not want to eat anything at all. With a little encouragement, she decided to give it a shot, and these noodles definitely gave her a little pick-me-up after a long day.

Simple loves.


Tropicana
243 Anzac Parade
Kingsford, NSW 2032
Tel: (02) 9662 8896

2 comments:

  1. I must confess to selfishly enjoying your blog for a couple of months now without ever actually leaving a comment. Of the several foodie blogs I follow, you're the only local, so I was pretty chuffed when I stumbled across it - there's only so many times you can look wistfully at food snaps and think, "Wish that restaurant was in my hemisphere."

    Anyway, seeing the C'ador on your list above took me straight back to high school (with about 500 others, I'm sure) Your blog is fun, expressive, and always a pleasure to read, so thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jo: Gosh I definitely share your sentiment when it comes to seeing photos of mouthwatering food from halfway across the world. Seriously they just make me want to hop on a plane and spend a weekend eating in another country!

    And thank you for your continuing readership -- it's always nice to know that other people enjoy what you love doing!

    ReplyDelete