Sunday, June 21, 2009

Review: New Shanghai Restaurant, Chatswood

Shallot Pancakes

6 months ago my friend SK left Sydney for New York for a semester of exchange. 6 months without her company couldn't have gone slower, but she finally returned last week just as I was starting my first exam for this semester, so we hadn't had a chance to properly meet up and just hang out and share some gossip.

I was still in bed this morning when she messaged me to meet up for lunch. We quickly settle that we were both in DESPERATE (and I stress that) need of some new boots for the winter, and that considering the horrid weather conditions outside that the shelter of Chatswood Westfield was probably the safest option to go.

Little did we know - and much to our dismay - that half of Sydney probably had the very same idea, so that by the time we found a park, our stomachs were crying out for dear lord and it wasn't long before we found ourselves sitting inside New Shanghai.New Shanghai's original store is in Ashfield, and only recently opened the baby in Chatswood. Much to its credit, the new shop looks beautiful, especially compared to the old one, and judging by the line of eager patrons waiting for a seat outside, it's probably off to a good start.

Xiao Long Bao

True to our style we started off with a serve of Xiao Long Bao. These were purely delightful, and we weren't the slightest bit disappointed with anything (except maybe that we didn't order enough of them). The little buns were filled with soupy goodness, and the meat was absolutely delectable. I personally would rank these just behind Shanghai Nights in Ashfield as I prefer the sweeter tasting pork fillings they have there, but I would be more than happy to fill my stomach with these anyday, anytime, anywhere.

Stir Fried Rice Cakes with XO Sauce

We also ordered a serve of Stir Fried Rice Cakes with XO Sauce. The serve was actually bigger than what is shown in the picture above. Overwhelmed by a moment of extreme gluttony, both SK and I demolished half the plate before we realised that I had forgotten to take photos.

Overall the food we had here was great, except you could probably find better value and service going to Ashfield. The service we received here got a 2/10 as we had to wait for quite some time before the food arrived, and our waitress was incredibly inattentive and distracted. I understand it was a busy lunch, but I've seen many restaurants dealing with overflowing numbers but still managing to provide a fast and efficient service.

Nevertheless, knowing myself, my love of Xiao Long Bao will probably bring me back here time and time again. I just hope that as this restaurant settles into the bustle of Chatswood, it'll find its rhythm in the tune of its service.


New Shanghai
Lemon Grove Shopping Centre
427 Victoria Ave
Chatswood, NSW 2067

No comments:

Post a Comment