Friday, August 21, 2009

Review: Miso, World Square

On Wednesday night we were originally planning to head to Makoto in the City to nom on some delicious sushi, only to find that there was a line waiting for us to join. We signed our names up and waited for about 20minutes before we really threw in the towel, annoyed at seeing groups which arrived after us being seated before us.

Ok I get it, we had 5 people and those groups only had 2. But if you weren't prepared to cater to our needs then at least have the decency to let us know that we probably wouldn't be getting a table anytime soon than just pretending that we didn't exist.

Frustrated, we moved off around the corner to Miso.

Tonkatsu Set

We were seated pretty quickly, even though there was a line outside. As we waited, we salivated over the menu and all the exciting options available on offer. The Tonkatsu was the specialty of this place, and it wasn't long before we decided that we would order a Tonkatsu Set to share amongst the 5 of us.

EW drizzling the tonkatsu sauce

That was some daaayam juicy tonkatsu to say the least. But as always, I wasn't a fan of the tonkatsu sauce that comes with it. Same with the sauce on Takoyaki...which I think may be the same sauce. Not that I won't eat it...

Oh and hoisin too. Nice to cook with, but not a fan when used as a dipping agent.

Hokkaido Bento Set

EW, JL and I all opted for the Hokkaido Bento. Filled to the brim with assorted goodies, I really struggled to work out where to begin my feasting.

In the end I chose to stick to Tetsuya's general theory behind course progression - start with the cold, then onto the hot and heavier items.

So what was in it really? Let's see...
Cooked salmon and ikura on rice, salmon sashimi, eggplant tempura, meatball, dashimaki tamago, teriyaki salmon, broccoli, seafood mornay (typeofthing), grapes, pickles, miso soup and softshell crab.

Lychee Frappe

I also ordered a Lychee Frappe to go with the meal. Mmm mmm....refreshing.

Did I finish it? Well in short, yes. But I was stuffed to my eyeballs in food and I think they probably would have popped out had it not been for my Asian eyes. Definitely, definitely coming back for more of this stuff.

Tempura Bento Set

EC and SL had the Tempura Set which was similarly filled to the brim with Japanese deep fried goodness. I had been tempted to get it, but JL talked me out of it. It's for my own good, given the expanding ring of glycerol around my stomach.

I think I would've smacked my face right into it if I had ordered it. Good lord.

Green Tea Slushie

EC recommended the Green Tea Slushie which was supposedly really really good. I was really tempted to get one, except I wasn't entirely sure if there was milk in it so I thought to just steer clear in case I was having a bad day.

So what's my verdict? Definitely worth a revisit. Perhaps even the occasional trip down to this end from work one day.

Miso
Shop 20, World Square
123 Liverpool Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: (02) 9283 9686

1 comment:

  1. I've walked past it a couple of times but I'm finally going there tonight. I like the sound of the lychee frappe, yum.

    ReplyDelete