Sunday, September 27, 2009

Review: Raquel's Spanish Kitchen

Wow. If there ever was a post that was LONG overdue, it would be this one.

I'm just going to sit here and pretend that I visited this place last night, and not months ago and simply had the photos on JL's camera and forgotten to upload it.

Sangria

We celebrated NL's 21st here at Raquel's. It sits neatly along the busy stretch of Oxford St, and for those like yours truly who are fortunate enough to pass it on the way home from uni every day, face plastered to the car window smothered in drool, well...

Actually I don't really know where I was going with that thought.

Chef's Appetizer

Alas, on with the food.

Garlic Bread

I don't remember which order the food came in. Like I said, this post it long overdue, but I still remember which dishes I liked and which ones I didn't.

Calamar Frito (Crispy Squid strips lightly floured and fried)

Let's start with this Calamar Frito - essentially lightly spiced deep fried calamari. It falls short of beating Cantina's dusted calamari (whoever executed the timing of that dish should be crowned King of all that is Calamari and Deep Fried), but was nevertheless enjoyable to eat. There was definitely no overcooked chewiness present.

Queso Frito (Deep Fried Camembert w/ redcurrant jelly sauce)

Queso Frito was possibly one of my favourite dishes of the night. Fat content aside, these are possibly one of the few things I could munch on all night as I sit in front of the TV. They were light and much to my surprise, not so rich and oily to make you feel sick.

Gambas al Ajillo (Sizzling Garlic Prawns)

JL nearly cried when he saw the garlic prawns being brought out. I've been disappointed by garlic prawns too many times to get excited at the mere sight of them, but I must say these were pretty decent. They weren't as heavily flavoured as I would like them to be, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Croquetas de Jamon y Pollo (Rich jamon (spanish Proscuitto) and chicken croquettes with creamy béchamel)

These were similar to chicken goujons, but so much more satisfying to eat. The bechamel dip provided a nice accompaniment even for the people who don't really fancy saucing up their dishes.

Albondigas con Tomate (Veal and pork meatballs cooked in tomato sauce)

And then came the meatballs. Gosh these babies can never go wrong. Well...hardly. Let the fact that these disappeared within seconds be a token of its success.

Churros con Chocolate

Finally to finish the night off - CHURROS. You can't have Spanish with having Churros. These were definitely a winner on the table and needless to say many were left craving for seconds.

Raquel's Spanish Kitchen
98 Oxford Street
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Tel: (02) 9331 6806

No comments:

Post a Comment