I love Korean food. I think I would marry Kimchi and Korean Rice Cakes if I could (and if it wasn't such a weird idea).
Korean Glass Noodles, are also on that list of to-marry's. What I'm going to produce here is possibly not the most authentic recipe for Japchae, but it's simply my attempt at reproducing the stuff in the comfort of my home.
I emphasis that latter part. My food-conscience is eating me up alive.
The recipe itself is pretty straight forward. First, boil your potato noodles until they are tender. Strain and toss with a few drops of sesame oil to prevent sticking.
Just remember to use sesame oil sparingly. One or two drops will go a long way.
When everything is cooked, toss the glass noodles back into the wok and briefly reheat the noodles and mixing all the vegies through. Drop 2 more drops of sesame oil and serve on a platter.
And hopefully, if you followed those steps, you'll end up with this:
Korean Glass Noodles (Jap Chae)
Serves: 4 (entree portions)
Buy:
1/4 bunch of choy (or roughly two sticks), chopped into 5cm lengths
1/2 carrot, julienned
1 handful of rehydrated black fungus
1 handful of rehydrated shittake mushrooms, sliced
1 coil of sweet potato noodles
2 small blocks of five spice firm bean curd, julienned
1/2 onion, sliced
1 stick celery, julienned
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
2 spring onions, chopped into 5cm lengths (or sliced)
2 tblsp soy sauce
1 tblsp Lee Kum Kee Soy Sauce for Steaming
1 tsp sugar
1 tblsp cooking oil
Sesame Oil
Toasted Sesame, to garnish
Cook:
- Boil sweet potato noodles until just tender.
- Drain and toss with 2 or 3 drops of sesame oil, set aside.
- In a wok, heat cooking oil and fry onion, bean curd and celery
- After onions are transparent, add black fungus, garlic, mushrooms and choy and stir fry until almost tender.
- Season with soy sauce and sugar
- Add noodles into wok and toss around
- Remove from heat and drizzle 2 or 3 drops more of sesame oil. Toss gently
- Serve on a large dish, garnish with toasted sesame
what happened to risotto?
ReplyDeletewhat do you mean?
ReplyDelete