Saturday, May 9, 2009

Review: Ju Ju, Kings Cross

Mixed Sashimi Platter

Disclaimer: This is by far my worst set of photos. Both JL's dslr and my back-up point&shoot were on flat batteries, so I had to resort to my mobile. Dear Samsung, please fix the colour capture on your mobile cameras. The following exhibits will break any photographer's heart.

The name of this place brings out the Grey's Anatomy fan in me.

Jujujujujuju, Jujujujujuju (remember the OCD guy? and the whole death comes in 3's and 7's stuff? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about)

Anyway, I was at a NS's 21st birthday dinner on Friday night. The pick of the birthday boy had us heading over to the Cross for some Japanese. Once again, this was my first time at this restaurant, but JL had informed me that it was pretty good the last time he went, and apparently one of the waiters looked like Brad Pitt.

Brad Pitt?

I was sold.

Dragon Roll

The place is pretty funky. The whole place looks like an underground Japanese Karaoke bar, and before you step onto the elevated platforms (the whole restaurant is elevated from the level at entry) you must take your shoes off at the entrance and the waitress would then kindly hand you a plastic bag to store them in during your visit.

The picture above is the Dragon Roll. It was quite deleeesh, but I definitely prefer the dragon roll they have a Wagaya. The eel on top was a tad on the small and thin side, so there was really nothing special about the dish except its presentation. The rice was quite sticky compared to what we are generally accustomed to, but it just means there's not as much vinegar used on the rice which is actually to my preference.

I hate it when they use too much vinegar on the rice. Rice should not be sour. *Glares at Sushi Junction, Mosman*

Tofu Steaks

Oh and you may wonder why the place is elevated. It's because the floor of the restaurant is also your seat for the evening, and you get to dangle your feet into a hole underneath the table (which is further elevated from the floor). Does it make sense? No? Oh well, you'll just have to visit yourself and check it out.

The Tofu Steak we had was possibly one of the perks of the evening (after the sashimi platter. Oh baby, nothing can EVER beat a fresh sashimi platter) The tofu was coated in a light, crisp batter, then dressed with a sweet Japanese soy. To top it off, there was a thick and gooey corn starch glaze poured on top with a few bits of marinated slices of shiitake mushrooms.

Okonomiyaki

I'm not usually a fan of Okonomiyaki. I blame it on my High School Japanese teacher for devirginising my tastebuds for okonomiyaki with a severely undercooked and underflavoured okonomiyaki she cooked at school. I STRESS the undercooked part. There's nothing worse than biting into runny oko batter and have it dripping down onto your school uniform on a hot summer day.

Nevertheless, I decided to give this a second chance and I was extremely glad that I did. This okonomiyaki (can you tell I love the word?) was full of flavour, but not too salty, and well done all the way through. It was a bit doughy in certain areas, but I don't think it can really be helped.

I believe I am now on the hunt for the best Okonomiyaki in Sydney.


Ju Ju
Kingsgate Shopping Centre
Shop 320, Bayswater Road
Kings Cross, NSW 2011
Tel: (02) 9357 7100

No comments:

Post a Comment