Friday, October 30, 2009

Review: Ayam Goreng 99, Kingsford

Lamb Satay

I get days when I crave Indonesian food. I find it especially so on wet, wet, wet days. Don't ask why.

Ayam Goreng 99 has been recommended to me a few times by a couple of friends, and despite being so close to uni, it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I finally went down for a quick check. I don't know why, but for some strange and unjustified reason we just didn't order the Ayam Goreng.

Chicken Satays

The satays were generally pretty nice, but not particularly filling. I think the general consensus for the evening was that we were heading to another 21st that evening, and thus there will mostly likely be more food later on. In my opinion, chicken definitely wins over the lamb.

Kangkun Cah

If there is one thing I love about Indonesian food, it is their Kangkun Belacan (except I think the above is the Kangkung Cah - I didn't order that night, hence I'm not 100% sure of the dish names), or any of their selection of Kangkun treatment. Aka Onchoi, Kong xin cai (空心菜), I love the particular crunchiness of this type of vegetable, and its delicate leaves which soaks up all the spicy sauce.

Durian Ice

I was also keen on trying some of the Durian ice, seeing as I've never experienced the pungent odour of durians. I think they've been banned from the house even before I knew the stuff existed. The drink was pleasantly sweet, and mild - there was almost no odour. Either that or my nose needs medical attention.

Young Coconut Juice

The young coconut drink is almost a favourite amongst my peers, and once again it makes an appearance. You can always count on the young coconut juice to bring smiles and refreshment.

Overall, I'm unsatisfied. I still can't get over the fact we didn't order the ayam goreng.

--- WX

Ayam Goreng 99
464 Anzac Parade
Kingsford, NSW 2032
Tel: (02) 9697 0030

No comments:

Post a Comment